I've got a file here on which i cannot use xfs_bmap to determine it's
fragments. All that i know is that it must have a really great number of
them. It was the result of running a smbd without strict allocate. The
machine itself has 8GiB of RAM and 10GiB of swap available, so that
shouldn't be the problem. I guess this is some bug in xfs_bmap. Or is it
a known limitation?
# xfs_bmap /backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd
xfs_bmap: xfsctl(XFS_IOC_GETBMAPX) iflags=0x0
["/backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd"]: Cannot allocate memory
Another thing i noticed is that when i use the filefrag utility it
reports a different fragment count when invoked with -v than without it,
which i found pretty strange too. From that output i judge that the real
count is 62715, which is also not in sync with 45487.
# filefrag /backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd
/backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd: 1364 extents found
# filefrag -v /backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd | tail -n5
62711 43265805 57280748 57265654 17
62712 43266061 57265655 57280764 1
62713 43266317 57396971 57265655 17
62714 43266573 57265656 57396987 1 eof
/backup/tmp/cannot_allocate_memory.vhd: 45487 extents found
Other than that everything works perfectly well and xfs_repair doesn't
report any problems with the filesystem. So it's only a "cosmetical" issue.
Thanks for any hints,