Re: question about xfs_repair

To: Łukasz Korczyk <korczyk.l@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: question about xfs_repair
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2011 22:13:07 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 11:41:49AM +0200, Łukasz Korczyk wrote:
> Helo
>
> I have a question I wasn't able to find answer for.
>
> Which factors influence memory usage of xfs_repair?
> Does any formula exist to count possible memory usage?

# xfs_repair -n -vv -m 1 /dev/vda
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
        - max_mem = 1024, icount = 64, imem = 0, dblock = 4294967296, dmem =
2097152
Required memory for repair is greater that the maximum specified
with the -m option. Please increase it to at least 2096.

So it's telling me I need at least 2096MB of RAM to repair my 16TB
filesystem, of which 2097152KB is needed for tracking free space...

I just added 50 million inodes to the filesystem (it now has 50M +
10 inodes in it), and the result is:

# xfs_repair -vv -m 1 /dev/vda
Phase 1 - find and verify superblock...
        - max_mem = 1024, icount = 50401792, imem = 196882, dblock =
4294967296, dmem = 2097152
Required memory for repair is greater that the maximum specified
with the -m option. Please increase it to at least 2289.

That is now needs at least another 200MB of RAM to run.

It is worth noting that these numbers are the absolute minimum
required and repair may require more RAM than this to complete
successfully. If you only give it this much RAM, it will be slow;
for best repair performance, the more RAM you can give it the
better.

Cheers,

Dave.
--