Re: xfs_growfs doesn't resize

To: kkeller@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs_growfs doesn't resize
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 20:46:24 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jun 30, 2011 at 04:30:20PM -0700, kkeller@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello again all,
>
> I apologize for following up my own post, but I found some new information.
>
> On Thu 30/06/11  2:42 PM , kkeller@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2008-01/msg00085.html
>
> I found a newer thread in the archives which might be more relevant to my
> issue:
>
> http://oss.sgi.com/archives/xfs/2009-09/msg00206.html
>
> But I haven't yet done a umount, and don't really wish to.  So, my followup
> questions are:
>
> ==Is there a simple way to figure out what xfs_growfs did, and whether it
> caused any problems?

Apart from looking at what is on disk with xfs_db in the manner that
is done in the first thread you quoted, no.

> ==Will I be able to fix these problems, if any, without needing a umount?

If you need to modify anything with xfs_db, then you have to unmount
the filesystem first.  And realistically, you need to unmount the
filesystem to make sure what xfs-db is reporting is not being
modified by the active filesystem.

So either way, you will have to unmount the filesystem.

> ==Assuming my filesystem is healthy, will a simple kernel update
> (and reboot of course!) allow me to resize the filesystem in one
> step, instead of 2TB increments?

I'd upgrade both kernel and userspace.

Cheers,

Dave.