Re: mkfs.xfs error creating large agcount an raid

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mkfs.xfs error creating large agcount an raid
From: Marcus Pereira <marcus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 01:14:34 -0300
Em 27-06-2011 00:33, Stan Hoeppner escreveu:

I recommend 3 changes, one of which I previously mentioned:

1.  Use 8 mirror pairs instead of 4
2.  Don't use striping.  Make an mdraid --linear device of the 8 mirrors
3.  Format with '-d agcount=32' which will give you 4 AGs per spindle

Test this configuration and post your results.

I am thanks for all advices. I will make the tests and post, may take some time.

About all other messages. My system may not be a Ferrari but its not a Volks. I certainly do not have that many HDs in fiber channel, but the sever is a dual core Xeon 6 cores with HT. Linux sees a total of 24 cores, total RAM is 24GB. The HDs are all SAS 15Krpm and the system runs on SSD. They are dedicated to handle the maildir files and I have several of those servers running nicely.
But I don’t want to make the thread about my system larger.

Yes, I don’t know much about XFS and Allocation groups, thanks for you all to help me a bit.

At the end the reason why I opened the thread it the error and the developers should take some care about that.

Ok, no reason to use that many agcount but giving a "mkfs.xfs: pwrite64 failed: No space left on device" error for me stills seems a bug. I manage to create a XFS volume with agcount=30000 on a normal device, no error or warning.
On md or lvm arrays I got that error at some point.

Marcus