Re: xfsrestore seems to hang

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfsrestore seems to hang
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 23:42:32 +0200
Hi Prad!

> so is it possible that the xfsrestore system has to go through the
> motion of handling the entire file even when it's just extracting a
> small part of it and things will take their time?

Yes, that's simply the way it works. It has to go through the whole dump
to restore one file. Same thing as if you used tar. Both were originally
designed to be written to tape. So if you want to restore single files
you should look for another solution. I like to use rsync a lot for that.

cheers,
michael