Re: xfsrestore seems to hang

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfsrestore seems to hang
From: prad <prad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Jun 2011 11:29:26 -0700
Cancel-lock: sha1:dGkh5K/s00HtB6mCJfj1SfapSdY=
prad <prad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> but it just hangs on the last line and we wait and wait and wait.

could it be that we're supposed to?

i just extracted a 21K file from a 3G dump and it took 168s.
the home.xfs file is 129G more than 40times the size of the small one,
so if things are simply proportional we're looking at

168s x 40 = 112m or well over an hour and a half!

i acknowledge that i stopped the thing after a little more than half an
hour.

so is it possible that the xfsrestore system has to go through the
motion of handling the entire file even when it's just extracting a
small part of it and things will take their time?

--
in friendship,
prad