Re: xfs_repair: "fatal error -- ran out of disk space!"

To: "Patrick J. LoPresti" <lopresti@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair: "fatal error -- ran out of disk space!"
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 02:42:41 -0500
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/22/2011 6:41 PM, Patrick J. LoPresti wrote:

> I guess one question is how xfs_repair should behave in this case.  I
> mean, what if the file system had been full, but too corrupt for me to
> delete anything?

Maybe you should rethink your policy on filesystem space management.
>From what you stated the FS in question actually was full.  You
apparently were unaware of it until a problem (misbehaving nfsd process)
brought it to your attention.  You should be monitoring your FS usage.
Something as simple as logwatch daily summaries can save your bacon here.

As a general rule, when an FS begins steadily growing past the 80% mark
heading toward 90%, you need to take action, either adding more disk to
the underlying LVM device and growing the FS, mounting a new device/FS
into a new directory in the tree and manually moving files, or making
use of some HSM software.

Full filesystems have been a source of problems basically forever.  It's
best to avoid such situations instead of tickling the dragon.

--
Stan