Re: auto group failing on kernel v2.6.38.5

To: Manish Aggarwal <mani.iitb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: auto group failing on kernel v2.6.38.5
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 09:46:53 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On 6/16/11 12:05 AM, Manish Aggarwal wrote:
> Hi Eric,
>
> Thanks for responding. Yes I agree most of the Test Cases are failed
> due to the umount failure.
>
> But isn't the "quick and auto" group are supposed to run without any
> error?

Yes, but if that were guaranteed, there would be no reason to run them!  :)

> The point is in case I am running xfstest suite on some target, how
> would I know that whether the there is some error with my target (or
> kernel settings) or if there is some error in xfs test suite itself.

The test suite is not perfect; it evolves, and there are bugs in it
as with any other software.

It is your role as a developer and as a user of the test suite to
investigate failures, and discern where the problem lies.

In general, the test suite works.  Busy filesystems at unmount are
not a common result, so you need to try to find out why you are
running into that, and what the root cause may be ...

Running on a usb stick is not something the core xfs developers do,
so you may well run into unique issues.

-Eric