Re: FYI: LSI rebuilding; and XFS speed V. raw - hints on maxing out 'dd

To: Linda Walsh <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: FYI: LSI rebuilding; and XFS speed V. raw - hints on maxing out 'dd'....(if not already obvious)...
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 11:30:49 +0200
Cc: Paul Anderson <pha@xxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Fri, 10 Jun 2011 18:33:08 -0700 vous écriviez:

> I have a 9285-8E and have been pretty happy with it's performance,
> but I only have 10 data disks (2x6-disk RAID5 =>RAID50) with 2TB
> SATA's and get 1GB perf... about what I'd expect from disks that get
> around 120MB each and doing 2 RAID5 calcs...)...

I've made some more tests since then, and I was using cheapo drives for
testing that for some reason, behave extraordinarily poorly in
combination with the LSI card. I've retested the card with hitachi
Ultrastars and it worked just fine (though a bit slower than Adaptec
6xx5). OTOH, the Adaptec works fine with the "bad" drives too, go
figure.

I didn't yet explored the advanced capabilities of the card (apparently
it may have some snapshot mechanism) because MegaCli is such a PITA :)

regards,