Re: Small files perform much faster on newly formatted fs?

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Small files perform much faster on newly formatted fs?
From: Norbert Veber <nveber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 16:30:01 -0400
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Thu, Jun 09, 2011 at 06:30:28PM +0200, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 9. Juni 2011 Norbert Veber wrote:
> > In these kinds of cases maybe there should be an error logged instead
> > of just silently ignoring them?
>
> And also don't show them in the mount options when calling "mount" or
> "cat /proc/mount".

Yes, thats even worse.  I found I can just put random things in there
when doing a mount -o remount, and it will just show up.

pyre:~# mount -o remount,bobsyouruncle /shared
pyre:~# mount | grep shared
/dev/mapper/vg0-shared on /shared type xfs
(rw,sunit=128,swidth=256,bobsyouruncle)

Thats on 2.6.32.  No error in dmesg output either.

It doesnt accept random nonexistent options when mounting, only when
remounting.

moupyre:~# mount -o bobsyouruncle /shared
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/mapper/vg0-shared,
       dmesg | tail  or so
pyre:~# dmesg | tail -n1
[441854.007959] XFS: unknown mount option [bobsyouruncle].