Re: Small files perform much faster on newly formatted fs?

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Small files perform much faster on newly formatted fs?
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2011 15:47:33 +0200
Cc: Norbert Veber <nveber@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2011 Norbert Veber wrote:
> Yes its already mounted this way as I mentioned in my original
> message: /dev/mapper/vg0-shared on /shared type xfs
> (rw,noatime,sunit=128,swidth=256)

Oh, I did only look at the xfs_info output.

> Both filesystems are on the same MD raid 5 which consists of 3 1 tb
> WD Black hard drive.

The difference could be that your filesystem is very much aged, and the
free space clustered around to new files get heavily fragmented. Did you
run xfs_defrag often? How full is your filesystem?

Also the log has sunit=0 against 16, maybe there's the diff.
Are you on a newer kernel that supports delaylog? Then try that.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc

Tel: +43 660 / 415 6531