Re: automatically running fstrim

To: Lukas Czerner <lczerner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: automatically running fstrim
From: Phil Karn <karn@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 04:20:10 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Thanks. My problem is that I've been running some workloads that can gobble up the SSD erased page pool rather quickly. It's a Perl script feeding a large number of email messages to procmail, one at a time. I think this creates and deletes a lot of temporary files. While XFS delayed allocation normally keeps such files from going to disk, I think procmail defeats this with fsync() to keep mail from ever being lost.

So I've simply been running fstrim by hand a lot so I don't have a repeat of the system lockup I had a few days ago that I am pretty sure was due to my OCZ Revo drive not handling garbage collection very gracefully.

Phil