Re: XFS/Linux Sanity check

To: Paul Anderson <pha@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS/Linux Sanity check
From: Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 02 May 2011 10:09:59 -0700
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Paul Anderson <pha@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

> md apparently does not support barriers, so we are badly exposed in

MD barriers for RAID-0 were added in 2.6.33, but very recent kernels
have much improved barriers again.

> Secondly, I welcome suggestions about which version of the linux
> kernel you'd prefer to hear bug reports about, as well as what kinds

Kernel developers usually want reports about the newest versions,
ideally with enough information to debug the problem
(that is backtraces etc.)

When you have a hang but the console is still active you can also just
dump the threads with sysrq-t

Often when things hang it's the underlying IO subsystem (driver, IO device).

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only