Re: xfs performance problem

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: xfs performance problem
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 17:12:01 -0500
Benjamin Schindler put forth on 4/26/2011 2:44 PM:
> Hi
>
> Since upgrading to newer kernels I have serious problems with xfs
> performance on my root fs.
> It runs on a software raid 0 with 2 disks. On the same two disks, there
> are two more partitions running a software raid-1 with ext3. On the ext3
> system, I have no issue, so I assume the drives are fine.
> But on the xfs filesystem, extracting a linux kernel archive takes 5
> minutes or more, running ldconfig similarily long. The harddrives are
> sata-2.
> I'm running gentoo linux with kernel 2.6.38-gentoo-r1. I'm attaching the
> kernel config but I guess more info is needed - just let me know what is
> needed.

The kernel config isn't the problem.  You haven't enabled the delayed
logging feature.  Add 'delaylog' to your fstab mount options for XFS
devices, remount (or reboot if necessary) and it should decrease the run
time of kernel tar extractions between 10x and 100x.

Also, slap yourself in the forehead at least 3 times for running your
root filesystem on RAID 0.  That's akin to riding a motorcycle, naked,
in a blizzard, down a steep, winding, ice covered mountain road with no
guard rails and a 3000 ft drop. ;)

--
Stan