Re: 2.6.39-rc4+: oom-killer busy killing tasks

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 2.6.39-rc4+: oom-killer busy killing tasks
From: Christian Kujau <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 02:50:12 -0700 (PDT)
Cc: LKML <linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 at 01:02, Christian Kujau wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 at 09:46, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > BTW, what are your mount options? If it is the problem I suspect it
> > is, then using noatime with stop it from occurring....
>
> When mounted with noatime, running du(1) accross the XFS volume still
> triggered the OOM killer, but the backtrace looked somewhat different
> this time:

Tried again with noatime, this time no OOM message got logged to the disk
(but may have been logged to the console early on). As it's reproducible,
I started du(1) across the XFS volume and after a while my SSH connection
to the box was lost. That's all I got this time:

  http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.39-rc4/oom/oom-6.JPG
  http://nerdbynature.de/bits/2.6.39-rc4/oom/slabinfo-6.txt.bz2

Christian.
--