Re: XFS memory allocation deadlock in 2.6.38

To: Sean Noonan <Sean.Noonan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS memory allocation deadlock in 2.6.38
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 09:03:45 +1100
Cc: "'linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx'" <linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Martin Bligh <Martin.Bligh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Trammell Hudson <Trammell.Hudson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 05:33:36PM -0400, Sean Noonan wrote:
> > What is the configuration of the machine you are testing on? I can't
> > reproduce this on a current 2.6.39-tot tree on a 2p/2GB RAM VM that
> > has it's blockdev images on a single SATA drive....
>
> The machine we are testing with has 12 cores, 12 hyperthreaded
> partition on one large hardware RAID.  There is a second bug we've
> run into that I'll report tomorrow.

So why would creating a 16GB file cause and OOM condition if you
have 48GB RAM? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Is
that memory free, of are other things running and consuming memory?

> Could you point me to the current tree you are working with?
> 2.6.39-tot doesn't mean anything to me.

tot = Top of Tree. IOWs, 2.6.39-tot means the latest development
kernel Linus has released.

Cheers,

Dave.
--