External log size limitations

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: External log size limitations
From: Andrew Klaassen <ak@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 13:54:47 -0500
Hi all,

I found some this document:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/library/tpl/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?coll=linux&db=bks&fname=/SGI_Admin/LX_XFS_AG/ch02.html

...which says that an XFS external log is limited to 128MB.

Is there any way to make that larger?

Goal: I'd love to try putting the external log on an SSD that could sustain two or three minutes of steady full-throttle writing. 128MB gives me less than a second worth of writes before my write speed slows down to the underlying storage speed.

I'll do lots of benchmarks before rolling it out to make sure it actually does help, of course. I just want to know if it's possible, and how to do it if it is.

Thanks.

Andrew