Re: mkfs.xfs pagefault when removed storage during operation

To: aelder@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mkfs.xfs pagefault when removed storage during operation
From: Ajeet Yadav <ajeet.yadav.77@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2011 11:27:43 +0900
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date :message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=MLbs3NzmITGZwuplLNnzh+0YTF6OX798JTq51CTVRV4=; b=oofYwz+aaMAuPjqVRYQJo8wUwdCzwoCCT8PHG/HLJJxbrDVh6QO4HRuBcQ8nLASAes EGOBOpsSJBtpYfAC+6KvzmQqRuRD+DOBSXqp/43bnOrza57gRofTlvTPSJLtJoSVZ/ot HoHaqwr4gui+N8FdXgPnpV5yLsS8HRK9l3CoY=
On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 10:35 AM, Alex Elder <aelder@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-02 at 17:09 +0900, Ajeet Yadav wrote:
>> If I see the current sigfault, its easy to fix adding one more patch
>> to xfsprogs.
> . . .
>>
>> But when I start reviewing the complete project w.r.t read() /
>> read64() / write() / write64() more importantly libxfs_readbufr() /
>> libxfs_writebufr().
>> I find error handing is broken at may places and I get my self lost in
>> m^n complexity also errno is lost.. therefore caller cannot examine
>> the exact error,
>>
>> Back again I think, What if I exit on error ? Does xfsprogs uses
>> read() / write() error as a part of its functionality, for example
>> does xfs_repair uses these errors as a part of repair funtionality.
> . . .
>
> I think these are good observations and questions.
>
> This doesn't answer your questions, but I want to mention to
> you that libxfs is just about to have a major update that
> affects lots of files.  I expect the update will *not*
> address the issues you point out here, but I guess what I'd
> like to do is get us moved to the updated code before trying
> to address problems that might be widespread like this.
>
> I hope to complete this update process soon, but I expect
> it will be a week or more before that happens.
>
>                                        -Alex

Thanks, I am waiting for the next release of xfsprogs.