Re: xfsdump SGI_FS_BULKSTAT errno = 22, how could this IRIX bug get into

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfsdump SGI_FS_BULKSTAT errno = 22, how could this IRIX bug get into Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid between kernels 2.6.32-27 and 2.6.32-26?
From: Michael Lueck <mlueck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Feb 2011 09:12:53 -0500
Cc: Bill Kendall <wkendall@xxxxxxx>, linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx, Dann Frazier <dannf@xxxxxxxxxx>
Dave Chinner wrote:
Ok, so xfsdump i seeing a short bulkstat, then an EINVAL returned
from the next bulkstat. That's not a race condition, and makes me
think you have some kind of on-disk corruption.

Very odd that some kind of on-disk corruption is suddenly causing xfsdump
problems starting with Ubuntu 10.04 (Lucid) kernel 2.6.32-27 and persisting in
2.6.32-28.

And there is one other person who confirmed this xfsdump problem running Lucid with
kernel 2.6.32-28. They reported their "me too" in the Ubuntu bug tracker.

Could it be that 2.6.32-26 and prior managed to write something to disk
corrupted, and the newer code is tripping on it?

I shall reboot the server to the 2.6.32-28 kernel and perform the tests you
requested.

Sincerely,

--
Michael Lueck