Re: xfs used disk space bug in 2.6.38-rc1 (commit 6e857567dbbfe14dd6cc3f

To: Alex Romosan <romosan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs used disk space bug in 2.6.38-rc1 (commit 6e857567dbbfe14dd6cc3f7414671b047b1ff5c7)
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 14:42:08 +1100
Cc: linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 02:01:45PM -0800, Alex Romosan wrote:
> my home directory is using xfs and i noticed that when i try to compile
> a program or do any kind of disk access (like git pull, etc) the amount
> of space used jumps by tens of gigabytes causing the disk to seemingly
> become full (eventually). on reboot the used disk space goes back to the
> correct value. i did a 'git bisect start -- fs/xfs' and i tracked it
> down to commit 6e857567dbbfe14dd6cc3f7414671b047b1ff5c7. if i revert

When you quote a commit, can you please include the name of the
commit. e.g:

6e85756 ("xfs: don't truncate prealloc from frequently accessed inodes")

> this patch then disk usage doesn't increase unexpectedly (i have 270GB
> free and the disk became full by simply trying to compile wine). i can
> try patches if somebody comes up with one.

I don't think you tracked the problem down to the correct commit.
The previous commit:

055388a xfs: dynamic speculative EOF preallocation

Is the one with the known bug that causes excessive preallocation
when files are zero sized. The candidate fix is here:

Can you see if that solves your problem?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner