Re: Problem with XFS on USB 2TB HD

Subject: Re: Problem with XFS on USB 2TB HD
From: Kevin Richter <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 00:37:28 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
> That's because you had the misfortune of garbling the root directory
> inode along with the superblock. That's a very specific corruption,
> but if the corruption occurred a few blocks away in a data extent
> you wouldn't even know about it until you restore from backup and
> realised the file content in the backup are corrupted. Indeed - you
> should consider that entire backup as corrupted and redo it from
> scratch.

I am wondering if there is a simple solution to backup/restore the inode
table (the relation "inode <-> filename").

With "ls -aliR" I get a list which I am now saving every few days.
The parameter "-i" displays the inode, that I can reconstruct the
filename from the inode, if this garbling error occurs a second time.

The reconstruction process probably would be a simple "grep | cut" thing.

Is there perhaps a finished script doing exactly this? Or any other ideas?

Bye,
Kevin