Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/12] xfs: rework error logging infrastructure

To: Alex Elder <aelder@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/12] xfs: rework error logging infrastructure
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 18:43:04 +1100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:16:29PM -0600, Alex Elder wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-01-12 at 11:35 +1100, Dave Chinner wrote:
> > This series completely reworks the cmn_err logging infrastructure
> > by replacing it with a simple, consistent API that can be used everwhere.
> > IOWs, this series replaces the various cmn_err APIs:
>
> . . .
>
> I reviewed the whole series, and offered a correction
> on just one thing.  I might quibble with the indentation
> of some of the format strings here or there, but I
> didn't bother, there sometimes is no nice way to
> do those.

Yeah, I tried to make them a bit more consistent - one line if
possible, even if the indenting was not "pretty". In some places it
made a major improvement, in other places I wasn't quite so happy
with the result.

> I personally like the result a lot, it's a lot cleaner
> and easier on the eyes.
>
> In any case, you say it's an RFC but I'm OK with it.

It was an RFC because I wasn't sure whether people would like the
interface I proposed and converted to. I know I mentioned it
previously, but no-one commented in reply with a yay or nay, so
I just went an did it and this is the result.

> I'm just starting to test with it but you can consider
> the whole series reviewed by me.

Great, thanks. I'll push it out into a topic branch tomorrow...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner