Re: no rw xfs file systems in mtab: /proc/mounts

To: Honza Fikar <j.fikar@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: no rw xfs file systems in mtab: /proc/mounts
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Jan 2011 13:50:29 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Jan 10, 2011 at 04:55:02PM +0100, Honza Fikar wrote:
> On 12/29/2010 02:09 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Can you please apply the debug patch below and see what output fsr gives
> > with it?
>
> the output is:
>
> #fsr/xfs_fsr -v -d
> fsr: cannot stat /dev/mapper/root
> no rw xfs file systems in mtab: /etc/mtab
>
> /dev/mapper/root is really missing, even though mount shows:
>
> /dev/mapper/root on / type xfs
> (rw,noatime,attr2,inode64,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,noquota)
>
> maybe it gets lost during initrd?
>
> easy and dirty fix is ln -s /dev/root /dev/mapper/root

There's no easy way for xfs to work around the fact that a device
listed in /proc/mounts doesn't exist.

This might be a fallout of the big dm naming mess that happened due
to udev's insistance to be the only authority for device names.

I'd recommend to report a bug to your distribution about the
missing device name.