Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?

To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Anyone using XFS in production on > 20TiB volumes?
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 17:56:11 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Wed, 22 Dec 2010 11:30:05 -0500 (EST)
Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> Is there anyone currently using this in production?

Yup, lots of people do. Currently supporting 28 such systems (from 20
to 76 TiB, most are 39.7 TiB).

> How much ram is needed when you fsck with a many files on such a
> volume? Dave Chinner reported 5.5g or so is needed for ~43TB with no
> inodes. Any recent issues/bugs one needs to be aware of?

I never had any trouble running xfs_repair on 39.7 TB+ systems with 8 GB
of RAM.

> Is inode64 recommended on a 64-bit system?

Sure, however 32 bits clients may scoff sometimes, though it's limited
to some weird programs.

> Any specific 64-bit tweaks/etc for a large 43TiB FS?

Nothing unusual (inode64,noatime, mkfs with lazy-count enabled, etc). It
should just works.