Re: Question regarding xfs_repair / memory requirement.

To: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Question regarding xfs_repair / memory requirement.
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:04:17 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Mon, 20 Dec 2010 05:20:18 -0500 (EST) vous écriviez:

> I am looking at FS to use for a possible 43TB array.
> If there is a problem with a volume this large, how much ram will
> xfs_repair need to fsck the volume?

Nothing special, I have tens of such filesystems. With a < 3.0 xfs_progs
you should be able to run xfs_repair with 8 GB of RAM. With newer
versions the memory requirement are even lower.

I often needed at times to run older xfs_repair on big filesystems with
only 1 GB of RAM, and using lots of swap (3, 4 GB or more) did the
trick, though of course it was slow as a caterpillar swimming in
molasses.