Re: issue with unmount of XFS partation

To: naveen yadav <yad.naveen@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: issue with unmount of XFS partation
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 08:42:25 +0100
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Wed, 1 Dec 2010 10:13:57 +0530 vous écriviez:

> FAT got unmounted every time, but XFS does not,
>
> /dev/sda2 on /dtv/usb/sda2 type xfs (rw,relatime,nouuid,attr2,noquota)
> /dev/sdb2 on /dtv/usb/sdb2 type xfs (rw,relatime,nouuid,attr2,noquota)
>
> If I do sync on Shell I got below error.

I don't get it, do you unmount the FS before unplugging USB? It looks
like you simply pulled the cable. FAT is an extremely primitive
filesystem that remains coherent when there isn't any data in cache or
disk activity; xfs (and all other modern filesystems) simply doesn't
work that way. You must "umount" it before unplugging, else you'll
break it.