Re: vmap allocation for size 1048576 failed

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: vmap allocation for size 1048576 failed
From: Michael Weissenbacher <mw@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 09:16:35 +0100
Hi Dave!

> I didn't think anything other than log recovery tries to vmap
> buffers. This is clearly not in log recovery. Can you post an
> unedited error log, how much data you are rsyncing, the
> configuration of your filesystem (xfs_info, mount options, loop dev
> config, etc) to give us an idea of what you are doing to trigger
> this?
 * I'm attaching the latest kern.log, unedited
 * I am syncing the gentoo portage tree, not much data but many small
files (currently 228MiB in 117880 files). This sync is done twice per hour.
 * I already posted my xfs_info and mount options in another post. Maybe
i should note that the loop file system was deliberately created with
blocksize=512 to accommodate the fs to the nature of the portage tree
(many small files...)
 * TBH i don't know about any special configuration of the loop device.
I just created an empty file with "dd if=/dev/zero ..." and then did
mkfs.xfs on it.

> Can't you run on a 64-bit machine?
80% of my machines are 64-bit and i never saw anything like that on
them. But otoh i dont' use loop devices very much. Unfortunately this is
machine is old hardware (P4 class) which can't run a 64-bit kernel.

> Can you downgrade your kernel and run the loop device there to tell
> us whether this is actually a regression or not? If it is a
> regression, then if you could run a bisect to find the exact patch
> that causes it woul dbe very helpful....
Already did that yesterday and i can confirm it has the same problem -
so no regression. The kern.log i attached to this mail is from Kernel
2.6.35.8

cheers,
Michael