xfs_repair of critical volume

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: xfs_repair of critical volume
From: Eli Morris <ermorris@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 00:54:13 -0700
Hi,

I have a large XFS filesystem (60 TB) that is composed of 5 hardware RAID 6
volumes. One of those volumes had several drives fail in a very short time and
we lost that volume. However, four of the volumes seem OK. We are in a worse
state because our backup unit failed a week later when four drives
simultaneously went offline. So we are in a bad very state. I am able to mount
the filesystem that consists of the four remaining volumes. I was thinking
about running xfs_repair on the filesystem in hopes it would recover all the
files that were not on the bad volume, which are obviously gone. Since our
backup is gone, I'm very concerned about doing anything to lose the data that
will still have. I ran xfs_repair with the -n flag and I have a lengthly file
of things that program would do to our filesystem. I don't have the expertise
to decipher the output and figure out if xfs_repair would fix the filesystem in
a way that would retain our remaining data or if it would, let's say truncate
the filesystem at the data loss boundary (our lost volume was the middle one of
the five volumes), returning 2/5 of the filesystem or some other undesirable
result. I would post the xfs_repair -n output here, but it is more than a
megabyte. I'm hoping some one of you xfs gurus will take pity on me and let me
send you the output to look at or give me an idea as to what they think
xfs_repair is likely to do if I should run it or if anyone has any suggestions
as to how to get back as much data as possible in this recovery.

thanks very much,

Eli