Extended Attributes across filesystems

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Extended Attributes across filesystems
From: alb348@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2010 00:52:58 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from :user-agent:mime-version:to:cc:subject:content-type; bh=SR8ppdiCc861GEsXHLzrZVFb8juMW0nbNbRE4oHfqEk=; b=PQHbezjpqj54LqeA3Oq1Z8KFUWK+pzF8B2XrToUyySw6f7cdIZ/K+57w2Lrebrib7+ 0ltdeTjfoEAgV4KX34viD8RulmRymDL89G43gLFl+C6yW9kydXIEbnNtrMlBdECrt4UX yWB2E3l5s2IS71iteNuliK5s4dmx1cAOKXdgQ=
Hi,

I am doing some research into filesystems, and I understand that you are amongst the leading experts on the topic.

I would be really grateful if you could help me by answering some quick questions regarding Extended Attributes:

1) Apart from the maximum number / size limitations affecting some filesystems (ext2, ext3, ext4), as mentioned in attr5 / man5 section of the Linux manual online, are there any other relevant differences across the filesystems that may create problems in transfering Extended Attributes (along with the files) across filesystems?

2) Will the attr (also called xattr) functions work equally well on all the filesystems that support EA? In other words, are the EA-management implementations across the Unix filesystems sufficiently standardized?

3) As far as you know, is there any operating system, apart from BeOS/Haiku, where the indexing and querying processes of EAs are managed by the operating system itself? Do you think that this particular feature of Haiku is a really a significant advantage or not so much?

I imagine that you are very busy with you work, and I would really appreciate your help.

Looking forward to your reply, I wish you all the best.

Regards,

Tes Bezier