Re: Interesting possible XFS crash condition

To: Shawn Usry <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Interesting possible XFS crash condition
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 11:54:46 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Wed, 20 Oct 2010 01:13:19 -0500
Shawn Usry <shawn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> The latter statement and observations lead me to believe that perhaps
> this was simply a yucky controller that was failing under heavy
> I/O.

I've set up quite a lot of those RAID cards (about 100) and there is a
significant failure rate on these (much higher than the newer 9650). I
had both cases of bad controller RAM and CPU overheating several times.

Try unmounting the filesystem and start a RAID verify:

tw_cli /cX/uY start verify

This will generate high IO. Check dmesg for controller errors. Try
remounting after a couple of hours of verification. If the controller
is fried, it most probably fail, but shouldn't crash the system.