Re: xfs_repair never finishes on lvm partition

To: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs_repair never finishes on lvm partition
From: Knowledge Seeker <knoseeker@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2010 22:48:03 +0000
Cc: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlemail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type; bh=eeq7czcFsqX9DziWXmZQhURdbO4myBMgmgFDTObe96M=; b=N8u6TW3CnkAQO5WtEPcjV6j04J3TImGrCxZOrx+pYx58xDfkjVsG8YByjePV/sruSr ZgdpQQvZ8yukIyOCOMlv0vsTldCBmz8TVUMgyHLRty7idgrc5qRxukWJaghLgxeRK0Nt UWyWNDPHR9XXj1ghTweKEcqVBhP1H/KbIwo8I=
Thanks for the help.

The good news is running -P option works and the FS is ok.
The Bad news is that names of files were lost, all the files were moved to lost+find.
Is there any easy way to recover it, or the solution is the hard way?

Sorry about the xfs_metadump, I ran the xfs_repair, before read all messages.
If it happens again (I hope it doesnt), the first thing I'll do is send it.

Thank you again.

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:50 PM, Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 04, 2010 at 02:57:42AM +0000, Knowledge Seeker wrote:
>> Extra information:
>> The versions:
>> # xfs_repair -V
>> xfs_repair version 2.9.8
>
> upgrade to a more recent version - that is positively ancient ;)
>
> Then if it still freezes in pahse 6, run with the -P option to turn
> off prefetching (slower, but should prevent the hang).

And before that, if you'd like to preserve something for us to
look at, run

# xfs_metadump /dev/blah imagefile

to capture the state of the fs which was causing problems.

-Eric

--
Knoseeker