Re: Problem with file system on iSCSI FileIO

To: slawomir.nowakowski@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Problem with file system on iSCSI FileIO
From: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 2010 15:18:58 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Le Fri, 24 Sep 2010 13:11:25 +0200
Slawomir Nowakowski <slawomir.nowakowski@xxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:

> But we believe the problem is with the XFS. With unknown reason we
> are not able to mount the LV and after running xfs_repair the file is
> missing from the LV. Do you have any ideas how we can try to fix the
> broken XFS?

This doesn't really make much sense to me. What target are you using?
scst, tgt, lio or iet? What looks weird to me is that the dd command
example you gave writes over the xfs filesystem :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vg+vg00/lv+i+lv0000 bs=1M conv=notrunc

This is definitely incorrect. Given that /dev/vg+vg00/lv+i+lv0000 is
your xfs formatted lv, you must mount it somewhere :

mount /dev/vg+vg00/lv+i+lv0000 /mnt/whatever

Then you dd the file on /mnt/whatever :

dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/whatever/lunfile bs=1M

Lastly, you declare /mnt/whatever/lunfile as the lun in your target
(method varies depending upon the target used), something like (ietd
example):

Target iqn.2010-09:com.whatever.host.target1
        Alias host.target1
        Lun 0 Type=fileio,Path=mnt/whatever/lunfile,IOMode=wback