Problem with file system on iSCSI FileIO

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Problem with file system on iSCSI FileIO
From: Slawomir Nowakowski <slawomir.nowakowski@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 15:35:02 +0200
Cc: "'Ryszard Stawiarski'" <ryszard.stawiarski@xxxxxxxxxx>, Łukasz Wittig <lukasz.wittig@xxxxxxxxxx>, Artur Piechocki <artur.piechocki@xxxxxxxxxx>
Dear Sir,

We are using iSCSI FileIO on the LVM. The file (called lun) has been initialized with:
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/vg+vg00/lv+i+lv0000 bs=1M conv=notrunc

on the XFS formatted logical volume.

Additionally, we use 2.6.27-39 kernel  and xfs-tools 2.10.1

After some time, without any additional errors, we are not able mount the volume. After mount command we get:

"mount: Structure needs cleaning"

in dmesg we can see:

"XFS: failed to read root inode"

If we run the xfs_repair, the lun file will be removed and all data on the iSCSI FileIO volume is lost.

I have found in the FAQ that this can be everything:

But do you know if it is possible to recover the data somehow?

Thanks in advance for response

If you have any more questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards

Slawomir Nowakowski
Technical Support Engineer
Open-E GmbH