Re: XFS errors on large Infiniband fileserver setup

To: Christian Herzog <horeizo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS errors on large Infiniband fileserver setup
From: Christoph Hellwig <hch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 06:38:02 -0400
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 12:01:55PM +0200, Christian Herzog wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> my colleague has been running tests without ISER all morning, and so
> far we haven't encountered an error, even though we have copied > twice
> as much data as for the other tests. Is it possible that a problem in
> the transport layer remains undetected and only manifests itself in the
> filesystem?

Yes, that could very well possible.  While I'm not an expert on iSER it
looks like it doesn't use the software crc32c checksums in iscsi over
TCP but relies on the RDMA protocols guaranteeing it.

Btw, what target do you use?  According to
http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-stgt/msg02038.html it seems like the
stgt iser target has some issues that look quite similar to yours.