Re: XFS internal error xfs_da_do_buf(2)

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS internal error xfs_da_do_buf(2)
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2010 10:48:00 +0200
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dave Chinner schrieb:
> > With 'stat every file regularly' you mean check the md5sum?
>
> If you just want to read the metadata, then just doing something
> like a 'ls -R <mntpt>' will read every directory block and inode and
> run the checks that trigger the errors you are seeing. running
> md5sum on every file will check the data as well, but will take a
> lot longer.

ok, 'ls -R ...' takes 40 min. to finish. I'll let it run once a week.
The backup incrementals do not read every file, so this might detect
corruption earlier.

Would it make any sense to run xfs_check periodicially on a mounted
fs?  xfs_check man page says:

'The filesystem should normally be unmounted or read-only during the
execution of xfs_check.  Otherwise, spurious problems are reported.'

I guess you would have mentioned it...

Ralf