Re: System partially unusable after power loss...

To: linux-xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: System partially unusable after power loss...
From: Manuel Reimer <Manuel.Spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 23:30:05 +0200
Eric Sandeen wrote:
and two files with ELF header, which may be (a part of) library files, I
don't know, as the name wasn't restored.

Having the xfs_repair output would be helpful.

I didn't save this...

Was there a system software update just prior to the power loss?

The affected files have been updated some days/weeks before.

Did your storage support IO barriers (i.e. was it lvm or md)?

No lvm, no md. A simple IDE drive.

Buffered data is always lost on a power loss, but I'm not sure
why you should see problems with system files unless they had
just been written out (and not synced).

I fixed this system. The reason was this silly "kbuildsycoca" or better a config file, accessible by the user, using this PC. Seems like this "non system file" got corrupted in some way. A run of "kbuildsycoca --noincremental" fixed the config and the system was up and running again.

But why did xfs_repair restore files... For me it seems like xfs_repair restored an *old* version of openssl, which has been replaced by the system update process. This would mean: xfs_repair made a deleted file visible. Is this possible?

Yours

Manuel