Intersect360 Research Site Census Report - Storage

To: <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Intersect360 Research Site Census Report - Storage
From: "Rachel Thompson" <rachel.thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 06:34:25 GMT
I enclose details of our high-performance computing storage market report.

This fourth report in our Site Census series provides an examination of the
storage characteristics and capacities found at a sample of HPC user sites. We
surveyed a broad range of users about their current computer system
installations, storage systems, networks, middleware, and software supporting
these computer installations. The initial three reports, HPC User Site Census:
Systems, HPC User Site Census: Processors, and HPC User Site Census:
Interconnects/Networks focused on server suppliers, server node
characteristics, processors-related trends, and system interconnect and network
utilization.

Our goal in this analysis of storage systems is to examine storage usage within
the HPC user communities and explore how this usage varies based on categories
such as storage capacity and its location, storage supplier, storage network,
etc.

Key findings of the survey include the following:

- Approximately 47% of the total maximum available storage at respondent's
sites resides on compute servers. Storage available to each node (referred to
as node-level storage) represents 7% of the capacity, and storage available to
the server (referred to as system-level storage) accounts for 40% of the total
available storage. The remaining 53% of storage is found at the site level,
generally on NAS or SAN systems. On average, 450TB of storage resides at the
site level on a storage system.

- About 75% of the 147 sites have at least one site-level storage system
installed. No vendor dominates the storage system market for HPC sites. IBM has
the largest share with 10.7% but is closely followed by EMC and Sun with 10.1%
each. However, "in-house" and "generic" solutions combine to account for 10.7%
of the storage systems installed. We see this last value as reflecting the
commodity nature of storage components and the availability of open software
for storage systems.

- NAS (Networked-Attached Storage) and SAN (Storage Area Network) had almost
equal representation in the surveyed HPC sites, with 39% SAN and 34% NAS.
Commercial sites are more likely to have a NAS storage system while academic
sites are more likely to have a SAN storage system.

- The majority of NAS storage systems are connected using 1 Gigabit Ethernet.
Only 8% of the systems were connected to a 10 Gigabit Ethernet network

- Most storage management software (38%) in use by these sites was provided by
the storage system vendor. Very little penetration by add-on storage management
suppliers was reported.

For more information please click on:
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_site_census_report_st

Title Index:

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

INTRODUCTION

METHODOLOGY NOTES

RESULTS AND ANALYSIS
Storage Hierarchy Capacity
Local Disk Capacity
Node and System-level storage Capacity by System Architecture
Site-Level Storage System Analysis
Site-Level Storage Systems by Supplier
Site-Level Storage Systems by Storage Type
Site Level Systems by Primary Network
Site-Level Storage Capacity by Primary Network
Node-Level Storage by Interconnect
Storage Management Software

CONCLUSIONS
Data Explosion and Rebalancing the HPC Market
Guidance to Vendors

Pricing:

Electronic  (Single User) : EUR 3742

Ordering - Three easy ways to place your order:

1] Order online at
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_site_census_report_st

2] Order by fax: Print an Order form from
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_site_census_report_st
 and Fax to +353 1 4100 980

3] Order by mail: Print an Order form from
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_site_census_report_st
 and post to Research and Markets Ltd. Guinness Center, Taylors Lane, Dublin 8.
Ireland

Related Titles also available from Research and Markets:

Intersect360 Research User Site Census: Applications -
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_user_site_census_appli

Intersect360 Research Traditional HPC Total Market Forecast: 2010 to 2014 -
http://www.researchandmarkets.com/product/18f47a/intersect360_research_traditional_hpc_total_m

Thank you for your consideration.

Best Regards,

Rachel Thompson
Senior Manager
Research and Markets Ltd
rachel.thompson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Subscribe: Click on http://www.researchandmarkets.com/register.asp You can
subscribe free for regular details on new research in your sector.

Please note you are currently subscribed as xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx

If you no longer wish to receive our market research updates, please reply to
this message with Suppression Request as the subject line, or use the link
below

http://www.researchandmarkets.com/u.asp?f=u&e=xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx