Re: LWN.net article: creating 1 billion files -> Tests we did

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: LWN.net article: creating 1 billion files -> Tests we did
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 09:54:02 +0200
Cc: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
On Donnerstag, 16. September 2010 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> So, are you saying I should be able to duplicate your results with
>  that dual Opty system, but using an md RAID0 stripe over 8x2TB SATA
>  disks connected to two $60 4 port SiI 3124 PCIe x1 cards?

According to Dave, with his patches you should even outperform that if
you got faster CPUs :-)

Emmanuel, where is the "mk1BFiles" Benchmark? We're planning for a new
hardware this year, so this would be a good time to run it.  Could I
have the script?

The output misses the time "ls" took, but I can one can calculate that
from the next test start, so 9:30-7:20 = 2:10, is that correct? Two
hours to just see all files, ugh. I guess it will take some years until
we want to have such a filesystem. Either hardware must become quicker,
or another wonderful new patch is needed.

--
// Michael Monnerie, Ing.BSc.