Re: XFS Filesystem not mounting

To: pbrunnen <PBrunnen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS Filesystem not mounting
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2010 11:21:51 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 04:45:23PM -0700, pbrunnen wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> Pardon the cross post...
>
> I have an XFS filesystem (not my root filesystem) on an OpenSuSE system that
> is not mounting.

What kernel version is that?

> We had a power failure over the weekend. All but one of our XFS mounts is
> comming up. Its a large mount (2TB) and I am not seeing errors per se...

What sort of hardware is it on? (raid controller, raid level, etc)

> But after attempting to mount it, it has been 4 hours and all we see in
> either dmesg output or in the messages file from the kernel is:
>
> "Starting FXS recovery on filesystem: sdd1 (logdev: internal)"
>
> Our mount process is dead and I don't see any disk i/o going on. Am I
> missing something here on this?

There's a good chance your storage is in a bad state. Can you send the output
of "echo w > /proc/sysrq-trigger" when the system is hung?

> I rebooted the box once earlier and was able mount read-only with
> norecovery...
>
> I tried xfs_check and it also produced a dead "xfs_df -i -p xfs_check -c
> check /dev/sdd1"

Definitely sounding like a hardware issue - once again can you post
the output of the above sysrq command when it is hung there?

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner