Re: XFS status update for August 2010

To: Willy Tarreau <w@xxxxxx>
Subject: Re: XFS status update for August 2010
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 23:08:09 +1000
Cc: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 12:47:39PM +0200, Willy Tarreau wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 05, 2010 at 11:37:03AM +0200, Michael Monnerie wrote:
> > On Sonntag, 5. September 2010 Willy Tarreau wrote:
> > > I've just installed 2.6.35.4
> >
> > Try the following mount options:
> > relatime,logbufs=8,logbsize=256k,attr2,barrier,largeio,swalloc,delaylog

FYI:
        - relatime,logbufs=8,attr=2,barrier are all defaults.
        - largeio only affects stat(2) output if you have
          sunit/swidth set - unlikely on a laptop drive, and has
          no effect on unlink performance.
        - swalloc only affects allocation if sunit/swidth are set
          and has no effect on unlink performance.

> Ah thanks for the info Michael, indeed it's a *lot* better: down from 57s
> to 1.3s !

        - delaylog is the option providing that improvement.

You should keep in mind that delaylog is a brand new experimental
feature (as it warns in dmesg output on mount) and as such has the
potential to eat your data. That being said, I've been running
my laptop and my production machines (except for the backup target)
for a couple of months now with it and haven't had any problems...

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner