Re: 4K drives, sectsz=512, bsize=4096

To: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: 4K drives, sectsz=512, bsize=4096
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 16:16:49 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Michael Monnerie wrote:
> On Montag, 30. August 2010 Michael Monnerie wrote:
>> Will there be any real difference if I re-format with sectsz=4096?
>> AFAIK, XFS will do I/O based on block size, so the sector size
>>  doesn't  do any harm. Is that correct?
>
> Nobody? Is my assumption correct that a change in sectsz from 512 to
> 4096 would be of no difference for the filesystem?

Just be sure your first sector of your top-level block device
is 4k aligned, and then yes you'll want to set sector size to 4k
so that xfs will do all log IO in 4k blocks as well.

If you do it right (and especially vs. if you do it wrong) it should
be a bit faster if all IOs are 4k aligned on the disk.

-Eric