Re: What should to do with ASSERT failed

To: Mike Gao <ygao.linux@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: What should to do with ASSERT failed
From: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:47:20 -0500
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Mike Gao wrote:
> xfs_vm_writepage
> {
>                /*
> * A hole may still be marked uptodate because discard_buffer
> * leaves the flag set.
> */
> if (!buffer_mapped(bh) && buffer_uptodate(bh)) {
> ASSERT(!buffer_dirty(bh));
> imap_valid = 0;
> continue;
> }
> }
>
> I met this case that buffer is marked as dirty which make assert failed.
> What does this mean and what I can do with it?

You can report it here, with more information on what load you were running,
and the full backtrace that the ASSERT generated... thanks!

And it means that we think we are in a hole, but the buffer for
that hole is marked dirty, which we did not expect ...

The change went in with this commit:

3d9b02e3c76531687ab5314e0edf266256f13c2d xfs: fix corruption case for block
size < page size

which was attempting to fix a very specific file corruption case.

What kernel are you running on?

What block size are you using?  (xfs_info will tell you)

Thanks,
-Eric