Re: kernel bug in xfs_lrw.c (centos v5.5, directio, aio)

To: Nohez <nohez@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: kernel bug in xfs_lrw.c (centos v5.5, directio, aio)
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2010 21:43:05 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 07:12:12PM +0530, Nohez wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I had a kernel bug today when running xfs on CentOS v5.5. I moved to
> xfs from ext3 today.
>
> The only application accessing the xfs filesystem is Sybase ASE v15.x.
> Database has been configured to use directio with native kernel
> asynchronous disk i/o enabled.

The warning is being issued because the application is mixing
buffered IO with direct IO on the same file. i.e. data corruption
waiting to happen. This is an application bug - the responsibility
for ensuring data coherency and integrity is assumed by the
application issuing the direct IO.

This was discussed in more detail on a recent thread on this list -
you shoul dbe able to find it in the archives easily enough.

> Let me know if there is any other information I can provide to help
> with debugging.

Report it to the application vendor - it's an application bug, not
a filesystem bug.

Cheers,

Dave.
--