XFS Master Branch Rebase

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: XFS Master Branch Rebase
From: Alex Elder <aelder@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2010 11:16:06 -0500
Some recent commits have resulted in changes to
the XFS master branch that result in non-trivial
merges, which are not something we want to have in
our git history.  (I didn't realize this when I
pushed my last set of updates out, unfortunately.)

To remedy this, I'm have re-based the XFS master
branch on oss.sgi.com against v2.6.35-rc6.

This is important to you if you currently have
a git tree tracking this branch in the XFS
repository, because doing a typical "git pull"
won't produce in the desired result.

Instead, you should issue a command like one
of the following to update your private branch.

If your branch "xfs-master" tracks branch "master"
at git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs.git, and you now
have "xfs-master" checked out, you can do this:
    git pull --rebase -f

If you have a different branch checked out, you
can do this instead to force the re-based commits
to land in your "xfs-master" branch:
    git pull git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs.git +master:xfs-master

Another way to get a current branch to line up with
the newly re-based XFS master branch is  to reset
it to an earlier commit (such as v2.6.35-rc5) and
follow that with a "git pull" command:
    git reset --hard v2.6.35-rc5
    git pull git://oss.sgi.com/xfs/xfs.git master

                                        -Alex