Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/3] serialise concurrent direct IO sub-block zeroing

To: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RFC, PATCH 0/3] serialise concurrent direct IO sub-block zeroing
From: Alex Elder <aelder@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 06:12:29 -0500
Cc: Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Sat, 2010-07-24 at 10:09 +1000, Dave Chinner wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 02:20:07PM -0500, Eric Sandeen wrote:
> > Dave Chinner wrote:
> > > Patches for discussion seeing as git.kernel.org is being slow to update.
> > >

> > I can confirm that this fixes the qemu problems, too.
> >
> > Also makes the install take about 30min vs. 10 ;)
>
> Yeah, that's no surprise - it'll be serialising all the IO even when
> it doesn't need to. Good to know that we've found the cause of the
> problem, though, so we can work from here towards a more robust
> solution.

The patchesmade test 240 in the xfstests suite pass when
it consistently did not for me without it.

However I found that test 104 hung the two times I tried it.
At first I thought it could have been just taking a long time
but the fsstress processes were unkillable and shutdown
didn't complete either.  I tried again after removing the
patches and 104 passed again.

                                        -Alex