Re: 4k sector drives

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: 4k sector drives
From: Michael Monnerie <michael.monnerie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:09:27 +0200
On Mittwoch, 21. Juli 2010 Khelben Blackstaff wrote:
> Nevertheless, you don't have to get them to report 4k to linux. As
>  long as you align the partitions its fine. As i said in the other
>  post, newer fdisk doesn't use "DOS compatibility mode" and uses
>  sectors by default (instead of stupid CHS) with a 1MB alignment, so
>  every partition will be properly aligned. If you don't dual boot
>  Windows, you can also use GPT partitioning scheme. Also, from what i
>  have seen, xfsprogs are quite clever and find most stuff on their
>  own. I usually mkfs with "-s size=4096" just to be sure.

I always do -b size=4096 anyway, so I'm fine here. And I created the
partitions starting sector 512, so that should be good also.

> Slightly offtopic, there is another "problem" with these drives. They
>  park the heads every 8 seconds, so they might wear prematurely. You
>  can change the 8sec timer or disable it with the wdidle3 utility
>  from this url
> http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=609&amp;sid=113&a
> mp;lang=en
>
> If you want to know more about the problem, there are many forums
>  where you can read about wdidle3 and i also posted about it on my
>  blog.
>  http://lordkhelben.wordpress.com/2010/05/15/wd-caviar-green-hard-dis
> ks-idle-settings/

Thanks, I did this, and it even worked for my other WDC
WD2002FYPS-01U1B0, which was on 12 seconds (the EARS were on 8s as you
said), and now all three drives have a 120s delay before parking. That
should be sufficient. It didn't work for the VelociRaptor in my PC, just
to mention.

--
mit freundlichen Grüssen,
Michael Monnerie, Ing. BSc