xfs
[Top] [All Lists]

Re: utf-8' chars from Winxp machine may be problem related (was Re: xfs

To: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: utf-8' chars from Winxp machine may be problem related (was Re: xfs file system in process of becoming corrupt; though xfs_repair...)
From: Stan Hoeppner <stan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 2010 18:40:21 -0500
In-reply-to: <4C34F464.6060506@xxxxxxxxx>
References: <4C26A51F.8020909@xxxxxxxxx> <20100628022744.GX6590@dastard> <4C2A749E.4060006@xxxxxxxxx> <20100629232532.GA24712@dastard> <4C2A8948.3030008@xxxxxxxxx> <20100630010622.GC24712@dastard> <4C2AA36F.2070905@xxxxxxxxx> <4C2BB0C4.4060800@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <4C34F464.6060506@xxxxxxxxx>
User-agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US; rv:1.9.1.10) Gecko/20100512 Thunderbird/3.0.5
Linda A. Walsh put forth on 7/7/2010 4:40 PM:

> So yup...foreign char delight.
> 
> I can easily image most or all of these having been imported from my
> winXP machine at
> one point -- as I only recently started using Win7.  -- and many of the
> troublsome japanese
> filenames were 'downloaded japanese anime-related stuff' that I did on
> my old
> XP machine -- which I used as a download client while I did work on my
> Win7 machine...
> That gave a huge influx of foreign names from a WinXP machine.  That
> could be what
> made the problem jump out so noticeable -- before it was only maybe
> 20-30 files out of about a million or more.  But in the new batch it was
> hundreds out of several thousand, so
> they stand out alot more.

I run into a similar problem frequently when saving downloads to my XFS samba
shares via a Windows client.  I don't recall ever seeing XFS corruption, but I
do have problems manipulating these file names through bash.  Quite often I
end up having to rename the files through Windows Explorer to something bash
can handle.  That usually fixes the problem--not always, but usually.

Just for comparison, I'm running:

Debian stable (Lenny 5.0.4)
rolled 2.6.32.9 from kernel.org, XFS in kernel not as module
xfsprogs:  2.9.8-1lenny1
bash:      3.2-4
samba:     3.2.5-4lenny9
W2K and XP Pro clients

As I've never seriously dealt with character encoding issues (i.e. changed
anything related in Debian), I don't even know where/how to find my servers
default character encoding.  Google isn't being very friendly here.  I'm using
whatever character encoding is the default for US English Debian Lenny.

-- 
Stan

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>