Re: CentOS 5.5 XFS internal errors (XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO)

To: Shaun Adolphson <shaun@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: CentOS 5.5 XFS internal errors (XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO)
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2010 09:18:57 +1000
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, Jul 06, 2010 at 08:57:45PM +1000, Shaun Adolphson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have been able to repeatably produce xfs internal errors
> (XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO) on one of our fileservers. We are attempting
> to locally copy a 248Gig file off a usb drive formated as NTFS to the
> xfs drive. The copy gets about 96% of the way through and we get the
> following messages:
>
> Jun 28 22:14:46 terrorserver kernel: XFS internal error
> XFS_WANT_CORRUPTED_GOTO at line 2092 of file fs/xfs/xfs_bmap_btree.c.
> Caller 0xffffffff8837446f

Interesting. That's a corrupted inode extent btree - I haven't seen
one of them for a long while. Were there any errors (like IO errors)
reported before this?

However, the first step is to determine if the error is on disk or an
in-memory error. Can you post output of:

        - xfs_info <mntpt>
        - xfs_repair -n after a shutdown

Can you upgrade xfsprogs (i.e. xfs_repair) to the latest version
(3.1.2) before you do this as well?

> We have reproduced the condition 3 times and each time we have been
> able to remount the drive ( to replay the transaction log ) and then
> preform and xfs_repair.
>
> We are just using cp to copy the file.
>
> Some further details about the system:
>
> Software:
> - Fresh install of CentOS 5.5 64bit all patches up to date
> - Kernel 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5.centos.plus

I've got no idea exactly what version of XFS that has in it, so I
can't say off the top of my head whether this is a fixed bug or not.

Cheers,

Dave.
--
Dave Chinner