Re: Slow delete

To: Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Slow delete
From: Andrei Deftu <andreideftu@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2010 18:33:44 +0300
Cc: xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:mime-version:received:received:in-reply-to :references:date:message-id:subject:from:to:cc:content-type :content-transfer-encoding; bh=dubv05RYY3G7VDERmKwgaB2RYnZXj4nmNa6RM6KmK7g=; b=f65eRREp6UGxRwZ2WHuHUZCrp7HOKg5r/e/AxSVzj1s0laVtwMl66E/mJnj5dEVTJ5 ygwPSgr1JaEgpzYK8rLYgUoEsBLxQqXf7JjDZln6OafFVzhFIOYAp/9LQFuqCEIEYudG LkOoC4PMLo3OTGoa41PCtIEl3oyUSAl+6+jZU=
On Mon, Jul 5, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le Mon, 5 Jul 2010 17:27:44 +0300
> Andrei Deftu <andreideftu@xxxxxxxxx> écrivait:
>
>> As many people have pointed out, xfs is very slow when deleting a
>> large number of files. Does anyone has a technical answer to this
>> problem? Also, I am interested to know if there is a way to
>> temporarily speed up the delete process, regardless of all the other
>> parameters.
>
> Using the "nobarrier" mount option (when applicable/advisable)
> considerably speeds up metadata operations.
> Another possibility is to use a ramdisk (or /dev/null) as a log device
> though it could be... dangerous :)

Thanks. Yes, I know about these tricks like 'nobarrier' option,
separate partition for metadata log, increased size for the log, more
log buffers or atime disabled. But I was interested more in what is
the real cause of this slowness.

Andrei