Re: xfs file system in process of becoming corrupt; though xfs_repair th

To: "Linda A. Walsh" <xfs@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: xfs file system in process of becoming corrupt; though xfs_repair thinks it's fine! ;-/ (was xfs_dump problem...)
From: Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2010 11:06:22 +1000
Cc: xfs-oss <xfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 05:01:12PM -0700, Linda A. Walsh wrote:

> Dave Chinner wrote:
> >>Ishtar:/Torrents> 'ls' -ni bad*     ls: cannot access bad/30-Omoide
> >>to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Reinaʼs Ver.).mp3: No such file or directory
> >>ls: cannot access bad/31-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Tomoeʼs Ver.).mp3: No
> >>such file or directory
> >>ls: cannot access bad/32-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Nanualʼs Ver.).mp3:
> >>No such file or directory
> >>bad:
> >>total 0
> >>2359101 ?????????? ? ? ? ?                ? 30-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV
> >>saizu|Reinaʼs Ver.).mp3
> >>2354946 ?????????? ? ? ? ?                ? 31-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV
> >>saizu|Tomoeʼs Ver.).mp3
> >>2354949 ?????????? ? ? ? ?                ? 32-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV
> >>saizu|Nanualʼs Ver.).mp3
> >>ls: cannot access bad2/30-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Reinaʼs Ver.).mp3:
> >>No such file or directory
> >>ls: cannot access bad2/31-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Tomoeʼs Ver.).mp3:
> >>No such file or directory
> >>ls: cannot access bad2/32-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Nanualʼs Ver.).mp3:
> >>No such file or directory
> >
> >Those file names have a weird character in them - are you sure that
> >the terminal supports that character set and is not mangling it and
> >hence not matching what is actually stored on disk?
> -----
> Those files were 'fine' before today.
>
> I know it is not a terminal problem --
> I told ls to list all files in the directory -- then it says "no such file".
>
> Can you say that "*" shouldn't match everything?
>
> Those question marks are in the place for the size!
>
> There are no weird characters in those file names.

I beg to differ ;)

> Here are the same files in another directory:
> mp3> ll 3*
> -rwx------ 1 3255702 2010-06-14 10:54 30-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Reinaʼs
> Ver.).mp3*
> -rwx------ 1 3272004 2010-06-14 10:54 31-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV saizu|Tomoeʼs
> Ver.).mp3*
> -rwx------ 1 3234876 2010-06-14 10:54 32-Omoide to Yakusoku (TV
> saizu|Nanualʼs Ver.).mp3*
                                                                       ^^^
That character is a non-ascii character, which is why I was
wondering about terminals and character sets.  It does not display
correctly in mutt (a bold vertical bar) or Vim (a dotted, double
character width square) using LANG=en_AU.UTF-8 here....

> The fields it can't display are the file size, time and dates!

Yes, I know.

To stat a file to get that infomration first you have to open it and
that requires getting the file name exactly right. If you try to
open a file encoded with one language setting/character set and then
decode and re-encode it with another, the raw filename data will be
different to what is on disk. Hence when I see filenames with
unprintable characters in the mail, it's always worth checking
first...

> How can file size, time and date be in unprintable characters that "ls" can't
> display?

They aren't. They are printed as ??? because the stat failed and
hence they are unknown.

Cheers,

Dave.
--